Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mexican Inspired Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed peppers are amazing. Typically with rice, tomatoes, seasonings, onions,  and ground beef. I wanted to try to mix it up a little. Who doesn't like to mix it up every once and awhile? I know I do.
Now this might be a shocker but I never really had Mexican / Tex-Mex before moving to the USA, and let me tell you it's some good food. I thought it's about time I try to make some more Mexican inspired dishes, why not? If it turned out bad, I can just blame it on my inexperience right. Happily this was not the case, and I was thrilled. I love stuffed peppers.

Ingredients:
16 bell peppers (I used yellow and green), sliced half from stem to tip (longways, vertical)
4 c cooked rice, any kind
2 onions, diced
4 - 15oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 or 3 15oz canned tomatoes with chilies
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
4 c taco blend shredded cheese
3 or 4 - 28oz cans of red enchilada sauce, or if you can rock homemade go with that.
Large baking pan/s

Method:
Now when I cooked the rice, I added all the diced onion to it, and threw in a dash of red chili flakes.
Place rice / onion mixture in bowl, stir in black beans, tomato, salt, pepper. If it seems too dry you can add some olive oil, but I didn't need to.
Divide enchilada sauce into baking pans. To determine how many pans were needed I placed cleaned out peppers in pans. You want them to fit snugly.
Fill peppers with rice mixture.
Nestle stuffed peppers into enchilada sauce, and cover with shredded cheese.
Cover with foil, bake at 375 for about 20-30mins.
Remove foil, and bake until cheese is fully melted.

These do freeze well.
Do all steps but enchilada sauce, flash freeze in pan, and place into more airtight containers.
To bake: thaw in fridge (overnight), add enchilada sauce, and bake. Might need to add a few extra minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment