Thursday, September 13, 2012

Crockery Pot Breakfast?!

I love my crockery pot, it's easy, it's good, and most importantly it's a time saver. You need to save time when you have two adorable active children (2 + 4 years old), a baby on the way, and a ton of volunteer work. Let's just say I would cry if my crock pot broke, compared to my electric mixer (yes it just broke).

I have spied many breakfast crock pot recipes, and have heard just as many horror stories on how they turned out. I finally saw on one pinterest (you vixen of a site), it lured me in with it's good looks, and I had to try it. Ok to be fair I tried it for the Wednesday evening bible study that I cook the dinner meal for. I figured if it turns out bad, my family won't have to suffer alone with it. Bad, sneaky, smart.. or all of the above haha?!

Anyways the original recipe comes from http://www.allkindsofyumm.com. After all I am not a carrot stealin' bunny or anything. 

Ingredients:
1 bag of frozen hash browns. I used the diced kind. Why? That is what the store had, and that I could reach on the top shelf in the freezer. I have short arms and a big round baby belly, if I can reach it I will buy it! You can use peeled, and diced (about kidney bean size) or shredded potatoes
1 dozen eggs
1 cup milk
1lb breakfast sausage, I used maple, it just tastes good. Adds a great flavour to the mixture
Salt / Pepper, to your tasting
Any other seasonings you like with your eggs. (I added a dash of garlic, and some onion)
4C shredded cheese, whatever you like
*Original recipe called for 1 tbsp ground, dry mustard. I didn't have it so I didn't use it

Method:
1. I took the hash browns out of the freezer about an hour before they went into the crock pot. They were a frozen solid brick, and you have to be able to stir/mix all ingredients
2. Add hash browns (or diced / shredded potatoes) to greased crock pot 
3. Cook sausage, if adding diced onion cook now, drain off grease
4. Beat dozen eggs, milk, and seasonings all together
5. Add cooked sausage to crock pot
6. Add all cheese
7. Stir / mix
8. Add egg mixture, stir to coat ingredients 
9. Now put the lid on, turn to low, and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours. I cooked for 9hrs.

I use a 6-quart oval crock pot with removable, dishwasher safe stoneware with locking lid for transporting. Yes I am fancy. This mixture will go up to about the half way point. I didn't think it would be enough, but glad I didn't double the recipe. The eggs cook, shocking I know, and fluff up the mixture. Once cooked it is just a few inches below the top of the crock pot. It will be a lot of food for your family, and filling.

Honesty time: I didn't have that much faith in this. I know bad right?!  I kept spying the crock pot mixture (through the lid, dear gawd don't open it), and though at 6 through 8 hours of cooking no way this is going to turn out. I was wrong, I admit it, contrary to belief I do admit when I am wrong haha. It was delicious. It fed about 7 adults, and a handful of kids, with some leftovers. I love me some leftovers. I did also make a french toast bake, worlds easiest (or laziest) biscuits, sausage and "gravy" (cream cheese), no-bake chocolate peanut butter oat bars, had fresh fruit, and items for toast. Yes I make enough food to feed a small army, or a hungry bible study group.

Make this, I dare you to not like it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment