Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chicken in a Pot!


I am posting this fancy (sarcasm) recipe for my wonderful sister Bailey who likes to get her cook on!

On a Mom note my picky eaters will eat this and trust me there is a way to healthy this recipe up, in a sneaky way of course.

1 large pot
6-8 chicken legs with thigh attached, I remove the skin but you don’t have to ( I have used chicken drumsticks)
1 (16oz) bottle of ketchup
1 (12oz) can of coke (we use Dr. Pepper, or any dark cola, I’ve even made it with rootbeer before)
½ C butter / margarine (can get away with a ¼C and nobody will know but you)

Put all ingredients in the pot on the stove
Cover and cook on medium heat for 30mins or till chicken is done

This goes great with mashed potatoes (or healthier option mashed cauliflower) or on rice.
I recommend while your chicken is cooking away you get your rice or potatoes going too, could go with french fries for a fast easy peasy kind of meal (sweet potato fries are my favourite).

Where’s the healthy? Here it is!

The sauce, the sauce covers all mwah ha haa!! Why the evil laugh? I am a mother of two adorable toddlers, one who loves vegetables and the other who will gag at the sight of them. Every once and awhile you have to get creative and sneaky ;)

Once chicken is done, remove from the sauce or remove some sauce from the pot. Now you could thicken it up with the flour and butter method, the cornstarch and water or the pureed vegetables way. That’s right to get those kids (or picky husband, wife, neighbour…) a big dose of veggie goodness with them knowing it.

Plate your meal with some chicken, your potato / fries or rice, and a nice dollop of sauce and you’re good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment